Saturday, September 28, 2013

My Birth Story: Part 1

I know I know, it's been 9 weeks already, but between diaper changes, breastfeeding, napping, and trying to adjust to life as a family of 3, blogging hasn't been a top priority. But, better late than never, I spose!

My Birth Story: Part 1

July 25th began like any other week day - accept for the fact I was 40 weeks pregnant...on the nose. I got up at 5:30am for work (yes, I was still working!), and managed an almost full day. It's not easy sitting in a chair for hours on end! I decided early on I was going to be pregnant for 42 weeks as to not get my hopes up - so there wasn't even a thought in my head that my little peanut was coming anytime soon. Plus, only 10% of babies come on their due date. I was totally in the clear! 

NOT.
 
It was 5pm. I trudged downstairs to the treadmill for a walk. I walked throughout my whole pregnancy and up to 17 miles per week near the end. About a quarter mile in I felt a contraction. Was this a mildly painful Braxton Hicks, or was this a real labor contraction? I had no idea. This was my first pregnancy! I continued on. So did the contractions. I was about a mile in and decided to start timing them on my phone. They were nearly 40 seconds in length and about 5 minutes apart. I remember my birthing class said labor contractions over time would get longer, stronger, and closer together. Longer, stronger, and closer together. I kept repeating this in my head. Since the pain was so light, I kept walking. I still wasn't sure this was the real deal, and I DIDN'T want any false alarms. 

I completed a full 2 miles. There were times I had to turn down the speed and hold my back during a contraction. I still didn't believe it could be real. My husband Dan was upstairs making dinner. Grilled chicken and sauteed kale. I helped set the table and casually told him, "Soooooo, I'm having mildly painful contractions. They're 5 minutes apart. Could be a false alarm so I'll just keep monitoring them."  

We had dinner and a nice conversation. The contractions continued, but the pain didn't increase. I felt I was being stubborn by not calling the doctor, but I so badly didn't want a false alarm. My bedtime rolled around, 9:30pm. I kissed my husband goodnight and told him I would continue to monitor for a bit while in bed...and that if the pain increased I would call the doctor. 

I crawled into bed and not a second later I felt a gush. I don't know how else to explain it. I froze in place for a moment then jumped out of bed. All over the hardwood floor, my water broke.  I just stood there in shock. THIS. IS. HAPPENING. It was real now. SO REAL. I was going to have my baby. Finally meet this precious little human that's been in my belly for 40 weeks. Whoa, 40 weeks! Talk about timing! These were all the thoughts that flew through my head as I stood in an awkward squat position while water leaked to the floor. I waddled out to the living room, my pants half down, looked at Dan and said "my water just broke." I think he smiled and responded with "seriously?!" Well, yes, seriously. The first thing he did was clean up the water (haha), then he packed his bag. His excitement was palpable. I called the doctor who instructed me to come in immediately. This was it. There was no turning back. In a matter of minutes I would be admitted into labor and delivery, and soon after that I would be a mother. I was elated...and oddly calm, given the circumstances. I just prayed for an easy delivery, and a healthy baby. 

To be continued...





1 comment: